24 May 2008

USA: 8 Million Targeted for Roundup

Senior government officials have leaked detailed information about a database of 8 million Americans targeted for detention in case of a declared national emergency.

Called "Main Core," the database's origins date back to the 1980s when the Reagan administration began its "Continuity in Government" planning.  The Bush administration stepped up the effort to the point that even John Ashcroft and his deputy, James Comey objected on constitutional grounds, leading to the dramatic confrontation between Ashcroft and Comey on on side and Alberto Gonzales (then Bush's lawyer) and Andrew Card on the other as Ashcroft lay critically ill in an intensive care unit.  Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Ideas from free minds: "Ed and Elaine Brown were taken into custody last week. I’ve made no secret of my support for the Browns, but I’m starting to worry about offering my opinions in such a public manner. Anytime I make mention of the Browns on this blog, I invite visitors from .gov IP addresses. Visitors from the Senate and House don’t really concern me but the DOJ visitors do. Whenever I previously raised concerns, some well meaning (?) people told me that I was a bit nuts. I mean why would the Department of Justice give a damn about my opinion? Why would they care about people exercising their right to free speech?"