4 Apr 2012

Jesus Is Not a Homophobe

A high school in Ohio, USA, threatened to suspend a student for wearing a shirt that said “Jesus Is Not a Homophobe,” according to Lambda Legal, who filed a lawsuit on Tuesday against the school district on his behalf. Maverick Couch, an openly gay junior at Waynesville High School, wore the shirt during the National Day of Silence last April. The day of silence is meant to bring attention to anti-LGBT bullying and harassment in schools.

jesus is not a homophobe

“I’ve been bullied and called names, I wanted to wear the T-shirt to encourage respect for all students, gay or straight” Couch said. “I wish my school would help me create an accepting environment for LGBT kids, not single me out for punishment.” School officials said the shirt was “indecent and sexual in nature” and ordered Couch to turn his shirt inside out. He complied with the order. Next year, he asked the principal for permission to wear the shirt again, but was told he would be suspended if he did so.

The Raw Story