8 Jan 2013

Indian Guru Suggests Late Gang Rape Victim 'Was Equally Responsible For Attack'

A popular Indian guru has caused mass offence after suggesting the Indian gang rape victim who died on December 30 was equally responsible for the attack.

bapu

Addressing his followers, Asaram Bapu said upon being confronted by her attackers, the woman: "...should have taken God's name and could have held the hand of one of the men and said I consider you as my brother and should have said to the other two 'Brother I am helpless, you are my brother, my religious brother.'

"She should have taken God's name and held their hands and feet... then the misconduct wouldn't have happened." According to the Hindustan Times, Bapu went on to say: "Galti ek taraf se nahi hoti hai (mistake is not committed from one side)." Bapu is said to have added: "The accused were drunk. If the girl had chanted hymns to Goddess Saraswati and to Guru Diksha then she wouldn't have entered the bus."

Huffington Post